Thursday, September 20, 2012

WIDE.... as the African sky....

It's time again for #FiveMinuteFriday, and this time I stayed up for the #FMFParty on twitter. I must say, it's such fun that everyone should stay awake until 11 pm EST and be a part of the fun.

The Five Minute Friday comes from our host Lisa-Jo Baker. She posts a prompt and we write for 5 minutes and post the results. Great fun! Check out her site. Lots of great things going on over there.

Be sure to check out others participating in the flash mob fun and sign up.... there's always room for more fun in your Friday!

The prompt this week is WIDE.....

This is an easy one for me. Wide... wide open spaces. I've always longed for the feel of space around me. Growing up in the country, I've enjoyed being young and running in the fields when the ground was freshly turned by my Papa on his tractor. The joy of that feeling sticks and stays with you forever.

That's why when I lived in Nigeria for two years, and we would go out greeting and preaching, I would stand at the edge of the village and look out over the wide spaces and enjoy the feeling of free.

One of the greatest feelings of WIDE came when we traveled north in the country and preached in a village. There wasn't electricity at night and the night sky was thick with a blanket of stars. Want to feel what it means to exist... want to feel like you belong in the universe... spend one moment under an African sky and you'll know what it's like to experience a little bit of heaven.



11 comments:

  1. Wow...I like your picture of wide! To see all those stars? That would just take my breath away! :) Great post Vanessa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS --> "That's why when I lived in Nigeria for two years, and we would go out greeting and preaching, I would stand at the edge of the village and look out over the wide spaces and enjoy the feeling of free."

    I was living it with you and can picture it all...probably with a Haitian sky in my mind's eye....but you captured it...yes, girl..you captured it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As God is making it clear He is calling us back to Africa, this is one of the things that makes that a little easier : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so enjoyed this little slice of writing - especially the part about the African Sky. When we were in Ethiopia, I was dazzled by the sunshine. It seemed like I actually felt closer to the sun there nearer the equator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. I can almost feel the wide African sky from my comfy blue couch. Living in Texas, I do have a sense of what you saw. Our "Big Sky" goes on and on and on. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this made my heart full of longing... To be able to breath and live deeply with wide open skies makes heart do a pitter-patter. Beautiful writing!

    Blessings, Jamie (stopping by from FMF)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh. The wide open sky. Love it. I'm a girl from the mountains. Never been to Africa, Saskatchewan or Texas. But your description makes it happen for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh. The wide open sky. Love it. I'm a girl from the mountains. Never been to Africa, Saskatchewan or Texas. But your description makes it happen for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That must have been wonderful. I really feel drawn to silence lately - Like God is waiting for me in the quiet places.
    In from 5 Minutes

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorite pasttimes on the farm was lying outside on the trampoline and star gazing.... HEAVENLY INDEED! I absolutely loved this :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You spoke straight to my heart there. I'm a mountain girl that loves an uninterrupted sky (works pretty good in the Midwest, too). Love the idea that you know you exist when you realize how small you are instead of feeling like the center of the universe.

    ReplyDelete