Sunday, April 3, 2016

C is for Coo-Coo Clock


The theme for my A to Z Challenge this year is The A to Z's of Unpacking. I have been fortunate to now be a home owner! I am in the process of unpacking, and I must say it is an adventure! Let's keep rolling with the letter C.


C is for the unpacking of my coo-coo clock. Now this is not an ordinary coo-coo clock. It's special, as most coo-coo clocks are. This particular one is special because it was given to me by my daddy. You see, my daddy had rheumatoid arthritis, and it made his fingers curve over to the sides. However, when he decided he wanted to do something he did it, and his disability never stopped him. He learned to build and repair clocks, and a lot of what he couldn't do with his hands he learned to do with special tools and magnets. I do miss him so, but when my clocks chime or when my coo-coo clock sounds off, I smile and remember his determination, his love for knowledge, and his joy in loving my kids.


When he passed away, I only had two children, yet he gave me enough antique clocks that all four will have one when they have their own homes. Me... well, I'm keeping the coo-coo clock.

11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and unusual legacy...and your kids will be on the receiving end when you pass a clock to each one!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and heartfelt post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very charming clock. Happy A2Z.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love coo coo clocks, and what a special meaning/memory yours has. Thanks for sharing a little bit about your dad, and the clocks!
    Mary at Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those clocks. My family had one when I was younger, purchased when my father was stationed in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have got a very interesting theme.

    I am Parul from Happiness & Food and part of co-host Pam's Unconventional Alliance from the #AtoZChallenge. Stopping by to say hello. Good luck for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a beautiful post. That connection to things, sounds, is something I understand and appreciate.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful item to have that sparks such happy memories for you. I have arthritis myself, and can't even imagine the blood, sweat, and tears that went into making a clock like this. Truly a blessing.
    Visiting from A to Z
    ~Katie
    TheCyborgMom

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful way to remember your dad. My family had a cuckoo clock when I was little. Now I'm wondering what happened to it.
    Elizabeth Hein - Scribbling in the Storage Room

    ReplyDelete
  9. I smiled thinking of how comforting it must be to have such a beautiful gift from your dad and such a frequent beautiful sound to remind you of him. I miss my dad so much. He was an artist and I love having his paintings around me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful post. Your father sounded like a truly great man.

    Thank you for sharing his story.

    ReplyDelete